Wednesday, February 18

Emotions and Investing

8comments

  1. when you lack knowledge about the stock you are buying, its akin to gambling.

    i think your friend is not investment savvy enough and may actually have a profile of being risk adverse. stocks are not for everyone, suits people who have a higher appetite for risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. > .. the stock price of that company fell by 10%
    > .. he told me that he had sold the stock.

    I think your friendj did the right thing i.e. cut loss at say 10%.
    Preserve capital and come back another day when it's even lower.
    Just treat the 10% as a business expense, all business has it's expenses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi bbqchickenwings,

    It's my fault partly. I should have just kept my mouth shut and not mention about anything. Besides, he didn't do any research on the fundamentals of the company so he has no confidence in it. If it's me and the stock that I just bought actually plunged 10%, I would go in and buy in more perhaps.

    Buying individual stocks are not for everyone perhaps but I do think if time is on your side, one can buy ETFs. If one knows that from history that stock indices has always been rising in the past, this can give rise to more confidence in the investment one has bought.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi paperwinebox,

    The strange thing now is that my friend wish to buy that stock again as he thinks that it was not quite wise of him to sell it away. But the price of that stock is still hovering around his selling price and he thinks it is quite foolish of him to buy it now after he has taken that loss of 10% by selling it in the first place.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay,

    I tried buying the DBS STI ETF 100 at 3 different POSB/DBS ATMs during the 2nd last and last day of the IPO. All of them said "This ATM does not issue receipts nor STI ETF shares". There is no news about the outcome of this IPO in the media nor on DBSAM's website. I find this strange.

    Do you know what happenned? Was the IPO closed early due to over-subscription? Tks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi VS Lingam,

    I'm not too sure on what is happening as I'm not taking part in the IPO. You might want to contact DBSAM directly. Do keep me informed on what happens subsequently. Thanks.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kay,

    Stock indices may have always been rising in the past. But this is an exceptionally bad time. Do take care in your investments.

    I have a feeling the 'real' heart attack has not begun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi bbqchickenwings,

    I am using surplus funds which are non-essential so I guess I will be alright. On a side note, I have been having that kind of feeling for a long time too.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete