Friday, February 6

DBS launching DBS STI ETF 100

27comments

  1. Thanks for the info,

    gives me something to consider for the next few days.

    Keep up the good work in your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay, having looked through the info I have a question.

    The valuation frequency is stated as daily. So does that mean it is valued more like a unit-trust updated daily instead of STI ETF that is real time?

    Regards,
    DB10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for the info.

    Just wondering, if you can actually buy it from the ATM, how do u redeem it? and is the price directly deducted from our DBS/POSB accts? Also, are the dividends, if any, paid directly into the DBS/POSB accts, or you have to have a SGX/CDP acct to receive it.

    Abit lost here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DB10,

    The valuation frequncy coudld be refering to the NAV of the underlying shares which the DBS ETF represents.This is calculated by DBS or trustee

    The ETF is still traded continously like a normal share and is based on the market price as per the bid-ask prices.

    There should not be much deviation of the NAV of the underlying shares and the ETF market traded price as any deviation will allow an arbitrage opportunity.

    So in summary,
    There are 3 prices which are inter-related.

    1)STI index
    2)NAV of the underlying shares
    3) Traded price of the ETF on the exchange

    All 3 should be near each other in terms of pricing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay,

    Besides the two small differences between the new DBS STI ETF 100 and the earlier STI ETF (by streetTRACKS), are there any other major differences? Does streetTRACKS STI ETF use a different basket of underlying securities with different weightages compared to DBS STI ETF 100?

    As it is, the liquidity of ETFs is rather small compared to normal shares. So why is DBS trying to copy streetTRACKS, something that might further dilute the market for both products? Or does DBSAM feel that the ETF market will grow tremendously, enough to support many players?

    Assume I plan to buy STI ETFs. Which of the two products should I put my money on? Or should I split my investment both ways? Tks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi DB10,

    Thanks for your compliment. SGDividends has pretty much explained on this issue. To elaborate and to add on further, I think the valuation frequency which is done daily refers to the NAV of the DBS STI ETF 100. That means the NAV of the DBS STI ETF 100 will be computed daily and this is similar to unit trusts and the STI ETF. In fact, I believe the NAV for the STI ETF is only computed once daily at the end of the trading hours.

    NAV is different from the trading price. NAV which stands for Net Asset Value, is the total net worth of the companies being held in the ETF whereas price is how much the market is willing to pay for them. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous,

    I'm sorry that I'm not able to answer your questions as I'm not taking part in the IPO. You might want to contact DBS Asset Management to ask them. Do tell me about the answers to your questions if you know them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi VS Lingam,

    I have not read the prospectus of the DBS STI ETF 100 yet. To my understanding, the basket of underlying securities should be similar to the STI ETF since both are tracking the Straits Times Index.

    Honestly, I have been thinking about why DBSAM is trying to launch a similar product. In the US, there is actually more than one ETF that tracks the major US indices such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 but the US market is much bigger than the SG market so liquidity is not an issue. I do feel that the local ETF market will grow tremendously in the near future but as this point of time, it is still rather small. As such, perhaps DBSAM thinks there is a potential to earn revenue from ETFs so maybe that's why they are launching the DBS STI ETF 100 and they will be launching more ETFs soon.

    On paper, the DBS STI ETF 100 is slightly better than the STI ETF. I would suggest that it would be prudent to wait and see if there is any liquidity issue with the DBS STI ETF 100. When the STI ETF was first launched, there was a problem with liquidity and due to this, the spread was rather significant.

    The main issue here is liquidity. If the DBS STI ETF 100 turns out to be more liquid than the STI ETF, I will add DBS STI ETF 100 to any new position while still retaining my original position in the STI ETF. If the liquidity of the STI ETF suffers tremendously, I will exit my position in the STI ETF and transfer it to the DBS STI ETF 100.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous,

    For redeeming, I guess you have to sell it on the stock exchange via the stock broker like you do for shares. Since it is like a share, dividends should be credited to your CDP acct too.

    For the IPO, I would also think that funds would be deducted from bank acct like normal IPO.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kay,
    I have been aware of the STI ETF for a while but I rather invest in the Singapore Index Fund (a unit trust also tracking the Singapore Index) managed by the Singapore Consortium Pte Ltd as I am more concerned about the liquidity problem of ETF.
    Yes I know that the sale charge is 2% plus a small annual management fee for the unit trust but this is quite the same as buying and selling share in the SGX, on top of that, I can easily redeem the unit trust with the fund house without worrying that there is no buyer for the ETF. I might be wrong. What is your comment?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi CSTan,

    Don't worry. I think you are not missing out on anything. Some issues are not so clear cut so there is no right or wrong. It is a choice of choosing between liquidity, management fees and sales expense. Perhaps I am choosing to get a slighter better return by choosing to invest in an ETF than an index linked fund but the trade off is that I may face liquidity problem.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. IPO Price of DBS STI ETF is $2.08. Am I right to say there is a link between ETF price to the STI Close price. Would like to know what date of STI close this is related to ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    I was wondering how was the IPO price of DBS STI ETF 100 at $2.08 arrived at?

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. The price is $1.62
    http://www.dbsam.com/stietf/Pages/fund_profile.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    Thanks for the information. I saw that on the fund profile page too.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can actually buy STI ETF from street tracks at an odd lot of 100.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Edmond,

    It is true that you can buy STI ETF in odd lots. It is just that the odd lots or the unit share market is different from the main market thus there are likely to be less transactions. Furthermore, the spread will be higher as compared to the main market.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  18. why is the price of the sti etf higher than that of DBS ETF? I thot they are pegged to STI index?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,

    Theoretically, the price is supposed to be one out of a thousandth of the Straits Times Index. However, it may not be able to achieve in reality. I'm not sure of the reasons with regards to the DBS STI ETF 100 since I have not look at this ETF in detail but some reasons may include the portfolio of the DBS STI ETF 100 not in the exact same weightage as the Straits Times Index and inherent market conditions.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kay

    I have been comparing the weekly Friday close NAV of DBSETF and StreettracksETF and there is a consistent difference.

    Assuming portfolio holdings and expenses are almost identical btw the two ETF, could the difference in NAV be mostly attributable to undistributed dividends?

    Tks as always for the advice.

    CTH

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi CTH,

    I took a look at the balance sheet of the STI ETF and it is possible that the difference in NAV can be due to the effects of dividends. However, I suspect that the main reason for the difference is due to the weightage of the different counters in the portfolio for the DBS STI ETF 100 and the STI ETF instead. I have not seen the exact weightage for the individual counters in the portfolios yet so perhaps I will do this over the weekend.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kay

    Any idea will there be a market for DBS STI 100? I look at the volume and see that it is traded thinly as compared to STI ETF. What is your opinion as at current? Or are we too early to judge?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Walter,

    The liquidity for the DBS STI ETF 100 is rather poor as compared to the STI ETF. It may get better in the future as the market volume on SGX picks up. Right now, the market volume is still rather low compared to the previous peak of the stock market.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi

    I am disappointed with liquidity of dbs etf. The bid ask spread is also high as a result (normally it is at least 2 points) whereas sti etf is only spread apart by 1 point.

    It is such a pity as it would have been a good dollar averagin tool due to its small lot size.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Singlish,

    I'm also quite disappointed with the liquidity of the DBS STI ETF 100. But it is expected since the general awareness of ETFs in Singapore is not that high among investors. Moreover, DBS STI ETF 100 is competing with the STI ETF thus this will also affect its liquidity.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  27. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. https://probellumvip.com

    ReplyDelete