Thursday, May 7

True performance of STI ETF and Unit Trust

23comments

  1. Hi Kelvin,

    Would like to check if we buy sti etf from POEMs, where/ how do we check the dividends?
    cos i only realised that sti etf gave out dividends from your post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. opps I ams so sorrie, kay!
    I typed the wrong name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelvin,

    It's alright. I make the same mistake at times too. You have to check the dividends information on the SGX website. Unfortunately, SGX has just launched its new revamped website and I am having some problems with using the website so I can't show you the link yet. I will post in the comments if I can find it.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kay,

    Do take note of management fees. STI ETF from street tracks charges only 0.3% of management fee. Whereas other funds may charge 3-5% of management fee. It makes a whole lot of difference. :D

    Cheng

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheng,

    Yup, that is part of the reason on the disparity in the performance of the STI ETF and the unit trusts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is not surprising to see the similar trend as that being observed in US. majority (one says that is 90%) of the actively managed unit trust of equity nature do not performance better than index fund.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bruce,

    I guess I was thinking more from the public's point of view. My hunch is that the majority of the public do not know that most unit trusts cannot beat the index fund in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bee,

    The SGAM Singapore Dividend Growth Fund gives out dividends indeed and the annualized returns have already factored that in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kay,

    Abit confused on how you would calculate/judge the annualise returns. Could you kindly show how they are calculated?

    How would a one time $100,000 investment into a ETF like S&P 500fare with a 20 yr time frame? Would the returns be " buying price - selling price, + dividends" ?

    I don't understand how your other post regarding investing in S&P 500 got the derived amount from $100,000 initial investment to grow to $300,000+ in a 18 yr time frame.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,

    I calculated the annualized returns using the internal rate of return method. As much as I would like to show you how it is being calculated, I think it will be too long for me to type it here. Besides, there are articles online which explain on this. You may wish to take a look at the links below which I think are useful.

    http://news.morningstar.com/classroom2/printlesson.asp?docId=3228&CN=COM

    http://hspm.sph.sc.edu/COURSES/ECON/irr/irr.html

    Formulas are available in Excel that enables us to calculate the internal rate of return so what I did was that I added in the relevant details such as the dividends, price and the dates into a spreadsheet and Excel will compute the annualized returns automatically. If I were to do this by hand, it would take a really long time.

    Regarding the S&P 500 paper, I wish to clarify that I am not the writer of that paper. Thus, I'm not that sure on how the author got the derived amount.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for the excellent links. Provided very useful information

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    I'm glad to be of some help.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kay,

    How can we find out the past performance of the dividends given out to by the ETFs? I don't seem to find them on their prospectus nor their historical chart..

    p.s. i think this is a great website with insight. moneytalk(with action) indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi nick,

    Thanks for your compliment. The old SGX website had a record of the historical dividends but it seems to be not available on the new SGX website so I'm not sure of how to get such data.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you include alongside the returns, including dividends & other issues from the 3 local banks which are the proxies for the economy if not the stock market.

    Dumb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    Perhaps I will do so in the near future since I will need time to collect and process the relevant data.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was curious on the dividend rate of the other ETF listed here, eg. lyxor HS or topix. If my numbers below are correct, i'm puzzled why their dividends are always lower. Don't tell me HK and Japan blue chips traditionally give out less dividend or somehow the ETFs withhold?

    year / STI / HS / Topix
    2007 / S$0.0775 / U$0.04 / U$0.007
    2008 / S$0.12 / U$0.06 / U$0.009
    After rough conversion of 1.5
    2007 / S$0.0775 / S$0.06 / S$0.0105
    2008 / S$0.12 / S$0.09 / S$0.0135

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Falc,

    I am not that sure either. Perhaps the ETFs has a high expense ratio thus the dividends being distributed are lesser. There can be other factors too such as the overall corporate earnings and the distribution percentage of the companies in the respective markets.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kay, your blog is so informative. I'm glad that I googled it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Zzz,

    Thanks for your compliment. I'm glad that you found my blog to be informative.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have nothing against indexes. But I think focusing on narrow indexes that are much out of favor is better than just broad indexes when buying a broad index you are assured to perform as well as the market performs but not any better.

    ReplyDelete