Monday, May 11

New SGX website

11comments

  1. Thanks.
    This is what I need.
    My Windows Mobile phone Opera web browser cannot display the new site properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the old website too, I find it easier to navigate in there(maybe it's just a matter of getting use to it).

    Although the new website looks more impressive and "hi-tech", all those frils are slowing down the loading and sometimes seem to retard its responsiveness. Also, it doesn't run well on IE8, I have to uninstall IE8 in order to view the announcements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I'm glad to be of some help. It seems to me that there are people in the Channelnewsasia forum who are facing the same problem as you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dancerene,

    I really think that the new website is not user friendly at all. Perhaps, I am rather slow in adapting to new stuff so perhaps it's my problem but so far, I been hearing a lot of complaints in some forums.

    Uninstalling IE8 sounds like a drastic option. I am using Mozilla Firefox for my PC at home and Google Chrome for my netbook when I'm on the move. How about giving these two browsers a try ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dancerene,

    I am sorry to hear that you have to uninstall IE8. However there is a workaround to it. Just go to "Tools" -> "Compatibility View Settings" -> add "sgx.com".

    You then should be able to view the new SGX site on IE8.

    Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.sgx.com/wps/wcm/connect/mp_en/site/highlights/highlight_contents/faq

    ReplyDelete
  7. Below is my email to webmaster@sgx.com. Not sure if anyone at SGX is listening.

    ----
    I am an active investor in Singapore-listed stocks. I am very disappointed with the new website which does not allow me to do many things that I used to do with the old website.

    For example, I have bookmarked a lot of companies so I can easily check for latest announcement occasionally, e.g. http://info.sgx.com/webcorannc.nsf/new+announcement+last+3+months+by+company+name?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=EEZRA%20HOLDINGS%20LIMITED. However, I cannot do such thing on the new website because everything is encapsulated in a Java (?) application. This is rather silly, as I do not have much time to fiddle around with the search box or 'Next" buttons on the new SGX website. I only have one hour a day to do my research and I make at least 20 trades a month.

    Many announcements that used to be viewable in one page now cannot be viewed without scrolling down.

    The conveniently located large "Back" button on my Firefox browser can no longer be used to see the previous page - have to spend a couple of seconds to locate the small "Previous" button on the Java (?) application.

    To add to my frustration, I cannot open announcement as a "Tab" on my Firefox browser, i..e. clicking the middle button on my mouse causes the Javascript to appear on a new tab in my browser and nothing else. In the old website, the announcement will appear on a new tab. This means that I have an unproductive 5-30 seconds wait for the announcement to be loaded and then another 5-30 seconds to search and click the "Previous" button on the application to get back to the list of announcements.

    While the old SGX website is not perfect either, the new one is definitely unuseable! I appreciate if you can pass this email on to someone who can make decisions on web-site design and come up with something that is really helpful to us, retail investors.

    Thank you for listening.
    ---

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kay and Anonymous,

    I needed to look at the announcements urgently on that day (first day after change) and it just wouldn't display. So I called up SGX Technical Support. That (uninstalling IE8) was the solution offered.
    Anyway, I have Firefox installed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bigsteve,

    It is good that you drop a mail to the webmaster. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do anything about it. It will be better if one can email the management of SGX directly or make this public by writing to the press. The new website is really not up to standard in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay, to a certain extent, I agree with you. I am not sure if the webmaster will escalate any of our complaints or if his management will listen. Anyway, here is the reply from webmaster and my response to his reply. No email exchange after that!

    ---

    Thank you for your valuable feedback.

    Let me suggest if you could use the the "My watchlist" ^ located on the prices information page.
    This will allow investors like yourself to keep track of your current portfolio.
    While you are at the price information page, click on the stock code (eg; SGX S68) this will bring to Company all- in one information.

    I hope that this would value add for investors like youself.

    "My watchlist" ^: Do click on the radio button to select the counter, this information willbe made available on the "My watchlist".


    In the meantime, should you have any other queries. Please contact us at webmaster@sgx.com.


    Regards,
    SGX Webmaster

    ---
    My response:

    Thanks for your suggestion. However, this is not the problem I am talking about. I can get my watchlist from my broker's website. Unfortunately, only SGX can give me up to date public announcements from Singapore listed companies without the risk of any filtering through my broker's website.

    Previously, I can get all the announcements that are related to the stocks in my watchlist with by clicking on my bookmark ("Open all in tabs" feature in my firefox browser). Your solution will work, but this will require me to check one at a time - which is the key to my complaints. Again, I emphasis that I only have limited time to do my analysis since I have a daytime job. Without the ability to do more real-time analysis, I may not have the confident to do more frequent trading as in the past - which will of course affect the amount of commisions paid to my brokers and SGX.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bigsteve,

    It seems not that bad to me. At least, the webmaster still bothers to reply back. Let's hope that SGX will manage to fix the website.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete