Tuesday, May 19

SIA CEO defends divestment of SATS

2comments

  1. pardon my ignorance. how is yield calculated? what significance will this have on investors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I calculated the yield by dividing the dividend by the price of the stock. For this case, it is slightly different since SIA proposed to issue the Sats shares as dividend in specie instead of issuing out the dividend as cash as usual. Thus I am treating the SATS shares like as if they are dividends being issued out.

    Using the SATS closing price of $1.48, these 730 shares that you will get for every 1000 SIA shares you will receive, are worth around $1080. Since the dividend yield is the dividend being divided by the price of stock, the yield using the SIA closing price of $11.60 is $1080 / $11600 = 9.3%. In my opinion, I think this is really a fantastic deal thus I have been thinking about the significance of this deal on what's the catch behind this deal. I am rather cynical when it comes to investing thus I am slightly skeptical towards this. After all, all that glitters is not gold.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete